Sunday, May 12, 2019

Russian Coast

There is a city about a fifth of the way up the  Kamchatka Penninsula, on its east coast.  It is a good sized city, 200,000.  Apparently it is the second largest city on the planet that is not accessible by road.  #debate That if you want. It has a fully protected port.  We backed in.


I chose to walk off the ship so, had to relinquish my passport for review by Russian authorities.  They boarded us early.  Took their time, reviewing each and every passport of those who chose to leave the vessel.  We were warned that some would not get off until early afternoon and the process could not be rushed.  We were given group numbers two days prior, and had to listen for our group number then we were permitted to go to a muster station to retrieve our passport and could only then proceed to the gangway.
Upon my return, late in the afternoon, I learned that some passengers did indeed not get off until nearing 14:00, but inexplicably, I was granted exit at 09:30 and had a great 6 hours romping through #Petropavlovsk.  I walked many kilometers and took many photos.  No.  It is not a perfect city, not  like the ones I'd seen in Korea and Japan, where nary a brick is out of place, and litter is never to be seen, but it is well ahead of any tourist's expectations of a Mexican vacation, and gave me a sense that this place has been here for a long long time and that the northern indigenous people live among other Russians whose ancient heritage might be from other parts of the gigantic country.  Probably like Northern Canada, southerners migrated and still do migrate here for work.  
They have a university.  I met young people.  Listened to violent rap muzak in a skateboard store.  Saw beautiful, and seemingly openly sanctioned street art.  I found elders like me, selling socks and imported fashions from street stalls, in a gully below the main drag.  I saw lots of families, many with kids, out and about.  It was the day after May Day.  Most cars are right-drive, but again, inexplicably, they drive on the right side of the road, the same as us.  Lots of the cars need bodywork, so I am thinking they are not forced to have auto insurance. #NotSure.


Preteens in bikes rode past the tourists, "Hello, Hello" they would giggle.  Every young shop person spoke virtually perfect English. Every elder, spoke none, but were welcoming.
For example: <alert #tooMuchInfo>, I wear mens' underwear. (My reasons will be posted at length in another blog.) In the open market, I came across a woman with a table piled  underwear.  Mens' boxers, womens' thongs, bikini, jockey.  Very well made.  Every size, and ridiculously inexpensive.
I was on a shopping spree, which is against my modern nature, but I had withdrawn 5000 Rubles from the port ATM not knowing if I was getting $50 or $500ish, gulp (it was the former <I think>), so my eyes were scanning.  I needed toothpaste, but forgot to get some.  But the underwear was also a practical and justifiable purchase, so I began to struggle to  choose a pair. I like the the jersey fabric boxers and went to that pile.  The merchant a woman nearing my age, guided me to the womanly stuff and I insisted no. This.  To prove my point, I yanked the wasteband of my stanfields from under my vest and she laughed and yanked the same from beneath her sweater.  We shared the thumbs up and laughed some more.  We both know that mens underwear is twice as warm, lasts twice as long, fits ten times better, and is often half the price per unity of fabric.
I had a fabulous day.  I found a beer dispenary.  Take-home draft. R1.10 per litre. Terrifyingly stern seller.  Long line-up.  I found two shopping "malls" that were more like office buildings with small unites off random hallways.  Multiple levels.  Hard to find your way. I suspected that the merchants kept their own hours, or by appointment.  Most were open of course, because very few ships dock at Petropavolvsk, and outside money is #aThing, probably. Baked goods. Produce together, but 15 different sells.  A hat store, so well stocked I bought two. Stepped into a womens' clothing shop and pantomimed, skirt? ...no nothing here but finger wag... "follow me".  (rolls up steel door) More! Imports. Italy, Germany, Austria.
here.  This will fit.  Canada!  
Handshake! Hug!  Keep the hanger! Gold fillings.  We have northern landscape and age in common.  Zero language unity, but we  bonded in the10 minutes I knew her.

The gigantic ship had backed into the dock.  It was a small harbour.

We (to my shame) off-loaded trash, but I am sure it was for a fee.  Less cost than Japan, but undoubtedly acceptable to the peninsular jurisdiction.  A happy transaction for both parties.  Also, there was fuel purchased for the Pacific crossing,
Lenin - in the Square

Still at sea. I do not know how many days it has been since I left Petropavlosk. Their housing architecture is what you would expect in Russia.  The commercial architecture is varied. Some so lovely.  On such a pretentious touristic exploitative excursion, it is hard to generalize about these Yellowknifers of Russia, but they are modern, with it, and I felt a connection.
~n Post39Day63/75

No comments:

Post a Comment