Sunday, April 7, 2019

Beautiful Game


My pattern for travel is to sit tight.  Months satisfy me, but if I cannot visit for multiple months, well a month is okay.  Short vacations are time wasted with travel, luggage, rubber necking, and just when you think you are getting a sense of the place, you leave, and for me, unsatiated.
I am now two weeks in my adopted neighbourhood on JeJu Island (province), South Korea.  The municipality (eup) is called Aewol-eup and my neighbourhood (ri) is Gonae-ri.

The vicinity runs along the north west coast of the island for about 5klix between the seashore and a 4-lane highway, about a kilometer inland, and then across the highway.  It is farmland, and tourism, and pockets of low-lying houses with lovely walls and roofs.  The farms and the hotels and the houses cohabit the landscape.  There is no separation.
Commercial districts are few, with most of the commerce, other than convenience stores and high-end restaurants and coffee shops to serve the many tourists, centred around the Port at Aewol.  It is an impressive modern port.
I walk about an hour to Aewol, to the south for groceries, and about 45 minutes to the north, just for the walk. It is all a sea walk, with protection from the traffic and frequent places to sit and enjoy the expance of the South China Sea.
But closer to home.  My little place.  As a tourist we want to go out.  We want to see things.  But sometimes that prevents us from seeing what is in our own front yard.
For example, last week, seven small horses arrived in the quaintly walled field right below my balcony!  But the biggest local deal though, the one that took me the longest to realize was happening right, literally, under my nose, is the Football <read soccer> field and park that is being built below me.
It isn't open yet.  Full astroturf. Beautiful bleachers, lighting, bathrroom, consession, and even a performance venue.  It is tucked in on flat land, that might have been excavated over the years, between an ocean cliff, and the mountain side that houses my hotel.  There has been a small crew of workers with one piece of lifting equipment quietly paving and landscaping since I arrived.
They have placed two gentle harubangs as greeters.  They have planted palms.  They have hung a sky-high net to trap kicks that clear the fence on the north, and the mountain lobs the balls back to a catch-trench on the south.
It is not done yet.  There is no signage.  People are stopping by to take a look.  One gentleman walks his beagle there at night.  It is quiet.  I have only heard one game so far, but think it was a practice.
This is a fabulous venue. Ocean front, for the beautiful game.  I have such respect for these 4 to 6 workers.  Today I went in for a closer look.  I walked through as they were setting up.  I took my time. I felt the turf. I walked the field. Then as I was observing their paving from the bleachers, I was asked to leave, and complied of course, after telling them that I thought it was so so beautiful and they were gracious.
I doubt I will be here to see the opening of the park, but this hotel has a great vantage if watching the beautiful game is on your list.

~~n Post30 Day40/75

No comments:

Post a Comment