Tuesday, April 2, 2019

Haenyeo Co-ops

I was shy to take these photos without getting names and permission. I am in awe of these women. Out almost every day. They are a co-op. Free divers and seafood harvesters. It is Jeju heritage and many women are not spring chickens. 
(Click photos to enlarge. The video is a UNESCO project.) 
Gonae Haenyeo



I came around the corner as they were finishing their daily business. I had seen the boats off shore and now, having seen the video, I realize they were working. There is another village Haenyeo group 3kms north.

Last seaweed back to sea

Gonae's Haenyeo

Gonae Haenyeos' sea view

Tallied weighed on the spot

Some don't get weighed

Take: Two full + one partial cooler.

Quick clean 'n' outta there

Current price. Deal.

Are they abalone shells?

Guts and seaweed

Is it abalone?

Packing gear after cleaning catch
Statues frequent shoreline

The buyers and the divers.
~~n Post29 Day35/75

No comments:

Post a Comment