Thursday, March 21, 2019

Settled

big balcony
This is my home base for the next 30 days. South China Sea meets East Sea.  Gaze to your left (100s of kms) Shanghai, to your right and overland, Beijing. I am not in a remote part of Jeju, but at least I am settled. My original accommodations on the south coast cancelled on me 3 days before arrival so I urgently booked this.  It is a 1km walk to the bus, that is the same. I am closer to the sea. I have no cooking facilities but there is a fridge and a kettle, so that is good. I had booked a yoga facility, but now it is too far, so I will look for another.
The overnight crossing from Busan was rough, but I got into the rhythm of the bumps and rolls and did get some sleep.  (The sea is still rough. It was plus 16 in my room when I awoke. I'd slept with the patio door open, listening to the breakers, but now the door is closed and ondol <floor heating> is making my space cozy.  I still hear the breakers.  Lots of foam crashing.) Yesterday I found my tsunami escape route, and in GyeongJu there were earthquake action signs <they had one 2 years ago>.
JeJu City is bustling and busy.  I have a car for a week, and will use it to explore the island. The bus system is much better than our rural bus system. The "Trunk Line" is cheapest and goes around and across the island.  There are 13  other "Express Routes" that stop only at main station and have specific routes, and there is also a Jeju City tour bus for 3000W (12 for on/off) that runs 09:00-19:00.  The whole island is accessible if you plan your routes.  I have a KTransit card and can go everywhere (gakk with no luggage to haul! :-), and that I shall. Denser population has its merits.
3rd floor
I posted some night shots of Busan to my IG nelly.mills. I tried the ferry food for 8000W. Not bad.  The ferry was elegant. I picked up my (online pre-booked) rental car at the airport.  Slick as a whip.  Cute wee KIA. Driving is easy here on good main roads.  There is some kind of u-turn thing allowed on the highway, but I haven't tried that.  I don't think ANY left turns are allowed without the arrow, but I will know for sure when someone honks at me. The residential roads are one-lane and very curvy; everything is hills.  I have a bright PINK (ikk) raincoat I will wear for walking, to be visible.  That behavior is right from Betty's British Travels Handbook, with her flourescent orange.  BTW, happy 92nd Birthday Mom.  And also to Big Jim, and of course to our beloved Jan.
If anyone wants to visit, I have a spare Queen in my room!
~~n Post 23 Day23/75 (23rd post on 23rd day/75! #KeepingUp Auspicious? Happy Spring everyone.)

No comments:

Post a Comment