Wednesday, March 20, 2019

Silla

I took photos in case I forgot what I'd seen, but it was not necessary.  The GyeongJu region has left me with a deep sense of humanity behind us, and now.  This is now.  The National Museum of Korea in GyeongJu City is thorough and precicely done.  Immaculate and beautiful. A chance new friend, Kim YinYe graciously showed me the Donggung Palace & Wolji Pond (Anapji), the Cheomseomdae Astronomical Observatory, and the fabulous, newly restored Woljeonggyo Bridge, by evening. Next, my friend and student, Kim DaeHyun gave me a day, from his busy surgeon life, and drove me out of the city to Bulguska TempleSeokguram Grotto, and to the huge Gampo Pagodas and Sea Tomb. All are highly important Heritage sites.  I will have a lantern lit in my name on Buddha's birthday (May 18 this year, with the full moon). I met a few gigantic Buddhas whose temples were not destroyed during the Japanese occupation.  I gazed where the Buddhas gaze.  I smelled the Magnolia blossoms. Luckily, I have chosen a non-busy time. He drove me the long way back, where I saw a huge reservoir, in dense winter grey forest,  and then through a long (15km) tunnel. Oh my! Fabulous infrastructure here.
He left me at the museum and I was already pooched, but I went through anyway - it is FREE!! - where I got confirmation of what I'd eye-witnessed, and more more more.  One interesting part, there'd been a life size painting at Seokguram of a woman who was not visible to the viewer, only to the Buddha, because we cannot walk inside the grotto.  Her name is Avalokitesvara, and here she is, replicated in actual size and 3D at the museum.
Of course there was lots of history of tombs and artifacts and trade.  The history is documented to late BCE, but artifacts go much much farther back. Thousands of years.  The Emile Bell is at the museum.  She is decorated with sprites.
I trained-it successfully to Busan's Bujeon station, metro to Busan Station, and found the Domestic Passengers Ferry Terminal to JeJu-do (do=island). (My first taxi - 5bux.) I received a 20% seniors discount on my ticket. Yippee. I will have a sleeping pad for the12 hour crossing 19:00-07:00 and have a rental car for 6 days as I adjust to Island life.
~~n Post22 Day21/75

No comments:

Post a Comment