Friday, March 1, 2019

Flashback

Some of you know that phase one of this extravagant journey is a quest. I am seeking an old friend of my long passed brother.  But, yesterday I realized, just as if I was 15 and he was seventeen, I still am trying to be cool.  I walked the streets of this village and saw the same cool people I yearned to be among when I was a teenager. Couples.  Couples of Couples. Happy groups of beautiful 60 and seventy year old beautiful couples, like the ones on the freedom with depends ads.  Well, maybe a bit more beautiful than that.  I felt the same thing today as I knew all those decades back. I don't fit among them.  I am not a couple.  A woman who is not a couple is different from the man who is not, and folks assume, or maybe I assume they assume, that I yearn to be a couple.  There was a time, when just to be part of the scene, I did yearn for that, but it was not about coupleness, it was about laughing and talking and feeling a part instead of apart.  PLOM (poor little old me). HaHa.  I am so over that.
In my towns, I have not felt that way, not for a long time, but here, this village caters to a narrow sliver of coolness.  Whomever be it so cool in 1970, is cool in this village.
They all dress alike (no golf shirts for the men, all sleevless T's and cargo shorts).  It is the music that triggered this throwback reaction.  Certainly I hear the traditional local Mexican music spilling from the merchants and some of the quick meal local food spots, but the restaurants and watering holes that are calling these people are playing right off the top 100 playlist from 50 years ago.  Not the teenybopper stuff, no.  The album cuts of Steely Dan, Zepplin, Stones, maybe some Hall and Oates. Definitely not Credence.  I hear the sound.  Eagles is a bit too country.  I know and do enjoy that playlist of my northend youth.
I am thrown back. I guess that is the point. Everywhere I look I see the person I seek.  My brother's best friend.  We all look alike when we get to this age.
I will find him and give him some of Rick's love.  We both carry it after all this time, but have not laid eyes on eachother since that dreadful day 34 years ago.
~~n Post#8 Day3/75

1 comment:

  1. For specific example
    , as I was sitting vigil for Rick's friend this song came on and I was drawn to tears i Rick being in my life. It is not called #LeroyBoy. (I love TRundgen.) Tell me if you "get it". Https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zL_6gYWXsUM

    ReplyDelete